||not-for-profit health plan,
for-profit medical groups
|| $31.1 billion kaiser permanete USD (2005)
Kaiser Permanente's headquarters in downtown Oakland
Kaiser Permanente is an integrated kaiser permanante managed care organization, based in Oakland, California, founded in 1945 by industrialist Henry J. Kaiser and physician Sidney R. Garfield. kaiser permamente Kaiser Permanente is a consortium of three distinct entities: Kaiser Foundation kaiser permanent Health Plans, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, and Permanente Medical Groups. As of 2006, kaiser pemanente Kaiser Permanente operates in nine states and Washington, kiser permanente D.C., and is the largest not-for-profit managed care organization in the United keiser permanente States. Kaiser Permanente has 8.5 million health plan members, 148,884 employees, kaisar permanente 12,879 physicians, 37 medical centers, 400 medical offices, and $31.1 billion in annual operating revenues. The Hospitals and kaiser permanenta Health Plans operate under not-for-profit tax status, while the Medical Groups operate as for-profit partnerships or professional kasier permanente corporations.
- 1 Structure
- 2 History
- 2.1 Early kaiser permmanente Years
- 2.2 Post-War Growth
- 2.3 1970s
- 2.4 Recent kiaser permanente History
- 3 Marketing
- 4 Quality kaiser perrmanente of care
- 4.1 International Reputation
- 5 Research
- 6 Regulation
- 7 Violations
- 8 Dispute kaiser permanemte kaiser permanente handling
- 9 Kidney transplantation
- 10 References
- 11 External kaiser permanente online links
Kaiser Permanente provides care california kaiser permanente throughout eight regions in the United States. Each of kaiser permanente insurance these regions comprise three co-dependent organizations. kaiser permanente health insurance plans This structure has endured since Kaiser Permanente physicians and leaders agreed to this framework, kaiser permanente dental known as the Tahoe Agreement, in 1955.
Kaiser is administered through eight regions:
- Northern California
- Southern California
- Mid-Atlantic (vicinity of Washington, kaiser permanente individual plans D.C. including Maryland and Virginia)
- Northwest (Northwest Oregon and Southwest kaiser permanente member services Washington)
The three organizations which make up each regional entity are:
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plans work with employers, kaiser permanente plans employees, and individual members to kaiser permanente locations offer prepaid health plans. The health plans are not-for-profit and provide infrastructure for and kaiser permanente jobs invest in Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and for-profit medical groups.
- Kaiser Foundation Hospitals operate medical kaiser permanente employment centers in three states and outpatient facilities throughout the Kaiser region. kaiser permanente 3 day diet The hospital foundations are not-for-profit and primarily rely on the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans for kaiser permanente in southern california funding. They also provide infrastructure and facilities that benefit for-profit medical groups.
- Permanente Medical Groups are partnerships of medicare supplemental insurance plans kaiser permanente physicians, which provide and arrange for medical kaiser permanente oakland care for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan members in each respective region. The medical groups are for-profit kaiser permanente southern california partnerships or professional corporations and receive funding from Kaiser Foundation Health Plans. social, cultural, demographic laws of kaiser permanente The first medical group, The Permanente kaiser permanente colorado Medical Group, formed in 1948 in Northern California.
There was a major reorganization of Kaiser Permanente in 1996 kaiser permanente corporate run pictures when twelve Permanente Medical Groups were unified within kaiser permanente small business health insurance san diego The Permanente Federation, which focuses on standardizing patient care and performance under one name and system of policies kaiser permanente health insurance and The Permanente kaiser permanente and fairfax Company, which provides a central governance structure for corporate activities.
The history of Kaiser Permanente dates back kaiser permanente northern california to 1933 at Eagle Mountain in Desert Center, California. Garfield opened the Contractors General Hospital, with twelve beds, to treat construction kaiser permanente oregon workers building kaiser permanente home page the Los Angeles Aqueduct in the Mojave Desert. The hospital was in a precarious financial state, due in part to Garfield's desire to kaiser permanente redwood city treat all patients regardless of ability to pay. Harold kaiser permanente health insurance california Hatch, an insurance agent, proposed that the insurance companies pay kaiser permanente hospital the hospital a total amount, kaiser permanente insurance for self employed in advance, for each worker covered. The financial relationship between the insurance companies kaiser permanente san diego and the hospital was efficient, and allowed Garfield to focus on a new idea: preventive health care.
Observing the concept developed kaiser permanente background checks by Hatch and Garfield in the Mojave Desert, Henry Kaiser persuaded Garfield kaiser permanente insurance for self employed in ga to open a prepaid practice for his construction workers who, kaiser permanente members in 1938, were building the Grand Coulee Dam in Washington state. Coverage was later kaiser permanente at livermore extended to kaiser permanente nw the families of the workers. In 1942, Kaiser established health plans for workers and families companies offering kaiser permanente at the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, California and Vancouver, Washington, and kaiser permanente cancer treatment center rancho cordova at a steel mill in Fontana, California. In 1945, Kaiser health plan membership was opened to the public, as kaiser permanente flu shots membership had dropped to 11,000 following World kaiser permanente health plans War II. When the shipyards closed in 1946, membership dropped to 25,000, from kaiser permanente lakewood a height of 200,000.
Between 1952 kaiser permanente lose 10lbs in 3 days and 1955, membership grew to 500,000, as the organization worked with union leaders to extend health care to kaiser permanente modesto all unionized employees. In 1958, Kaiser Permanente added Hawaii to its initial three regions in Northern kaiser permanente barbara burke California, Southern California, and Oregon. Membership reached one million by 1963. In 1969, kaiser permanente executives Kaiser kaiser permanente fresno added regions in Colorado and Ohio.
By 1976, membership reached three million. In 1977, all six of Kaiser Permanente's kaiser permanente hawaii regions had become federally-qualified health maintenance organizations. Some believe then-President Richard Nixon specifically kaiser permanente online continuing education had Kaiser Permanente in mind when he kaiser permanente pharmacy signed the Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973, as the organization was kaiser permanente premiums mentioned in an Oval Office discussion of the Act. In 1980, Kaiser acquired a non-profit group practice to create its kaiser permanente commercial Mid-Atlantic region, encompassing the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. In 1985, Kaiser Permanente expanded to Georgia.
The geographic footprint of the organization has kaiser permanente locations in oregon changed over time. The organization spun off or closed outposts in Texas, kaiser permanente of georgia North Carolina, and the Northeast. In 1998, Kaiser Permanente sold its Texas operations, kaiser permanente online members only where reported problems had become so severe that the organization directed kaiser permanente physicians its lawyers to attempt to block the release of a kaiser permanente sacramento Texas Department of Insurance report. This prompted the state attorney general kaiser permanente health plan to threaten to revoke the organization's license. In North Carolina, the kaiser permanente hospital san diego Industrial Union Department of the AFL-CIO issued a 1996 report critical of the quality of kaiser permanente indio the care the organization provided
. Kaiser Permanente closed health plans in Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina four years later. kaiser permanente medical center The organization also kaiser permanente midatlantic region sold its unprofitable Northeast division in 2000.
In 1995, Kaiser Permanente kaiser permanente northern california locations celebrated its fiftieth anniversary as a public health plan. Two years later, membership reached nine million. In 1997, the organization established kaiser permanente otay an agreement with the AFL-CIO kaiser permanente otay hours to explore a new approach to the relationship between management and labor, known as kaiser permanente santa rosa chemical dependency the Labor Management Partnership.
During the 1990s, the organization hired public relations firm Bain and Associates to position kaiser permanente unions oregon their brand in Washington, D.C. The organization also hired Strategic Partnerships LLC kaiser permanente woodland hills to secure
tax incentives and music in kaiser permanente commercial a special hearing for government grants.
In 1999, a number of groups successfully sued Kaiser Permanente in regard to its In the weaknesses of kaiser permanente Hands of Doctors advertising 24 hour fitness kaiser permanente campaign. The lawsuit revealed that doctors at the organization were epic software applications kaiser permanente not fully in control of decision-making and that there may have been persuasion to limit care with financial bonuses. In 2004, future kaiser permanente hospital locations in california the organization retained Campbell-Ewald to kaiser permanente + locations develop a $40-million-dollar ad campaign called Thrive. The campaign, which focuses on the theme of preventative care, was the first kaiser permanente continuing medical education since Kaiser Permanente's In the Hands of Doctors campaign.
Quality of care
U.S. News and World Report, in its 2005 annual ranking kaiser permanente fontana of US commercial health plans, listed Kaiser kaiser permanente fontana california Permanente Hawaii as 45th (out of 257 health plans), Kaiser Permanente Colorado as 55th, Kaiser Permanente Northern California kaiser permanente human resources as kaiser permanente in santa fe springs, california 58th, Kaiser Permanente Mid-Atlantic as 73rd, Kaiser Permanente Georgia as 81st, and kaiser permanente laguna niguel Kaiser Permanente Southern California as 88th.
A 2004 Consumer Reports survey of planholders ranked kaiser permanente lawsuits Kaiser Permanente overall as average or better. It showed below average ratings in the Colorado kaiser permanente medicare supplemental and Mid-Atlantic regions for two measures of quality of care: 'care from kaiser permanente midlevel practitioner protocols doctors', and the 'quality of their primary care physician'. The same survey ranked Kaiser Permanente's kaiser permanente my hr Northern California region as the best HMO overall among rated plans.
In the 2006 California Healthcare Quality Report Card, Kaiser Permanente's Northern California kaiser permanente portland oregon and Southern California regions led the rankings, with each scoring six out of kaiser permanente purchases computer system eight possible kaiser permanente santa clara stars.
Early in the 21st century the NHS and kaiser permanente sponsorship UK department of health became impressed with some aspects of the Kaiser operation, and initiated a series of studies involving kaiser permanente washington several healthcare organisations in England. Visits occurred and suggestions of adopting some KP lawsuits kaiser permanente lawsuits policies are currently active. The management of hospital bed-occupancy by KP, by means of integrated pharmacy computer system used by kaiser permanente management in and out of hospital and monitoring progress against care pathways analysis of kaiser permanente information system has been admired, and given rise to trials of similar techniques in eight art, kaiser permanente areas of the UK.
In 2005 a controversial British Medical francesca weiss kaiser permanente Journal editorial reported a study by California-based academics which compared hospital mission statement kaiser permanente Kaiser to the British National Health Service. The how did kaiser permanente help people editorial in the BMJ suggested that KP managed comparable costs to the NHS, but this generated argument mainly kaiser permanente and locations and texas that American costs were in fact higher than kaiser permanente and online continuing education NHS, and it was generally accepted that the NHS was cheaper and more efficient kaiser permanente and stockton whereas Kaiser may be more rapid.
Kaiser doctors and others carry out research publishing in peer-reviewed kaiser permanente boulder journals and in the kaiser permanente clinical trials organisation's own journal Permanente Journal.
Kaiser operates a Division of Research which in 2006 declared around 200 active studies in progress. kaiser permanente continuing care services escondido Kaiser's bias toward prevention is reflected in the areas of interest kaiser permanente diet - vaccine and genetic studies are prominent.
- Edmonton-Zagreb Measles Vaccine Project
Between June 1990 and kaiser permanente history October 1991, Kaiser, along with the Los Angeles County kaiser permanente hospital fresno Department of Health, Johns Hopkins University kaiser permanente hospital northern california and the CDC carried out a clinical trial of the Edmonton strain of Measles vaccine. The Los Angeles arm of kaiser permanente hsa the trial involved 1500 (900 receiving the study treatment) mostly black kaiser permanente in portland, oregon and Latino babies. Other arms ran kaiser permanente logo in Haiti and several African countries. The aim was to induce immunity to Measles earlier, as cases in young children had been kaiser permanente medical centers sacramento causing kaiser permanente moanalua alarm. The trial was ended early when increased mortality appeared in other countries. Inadequate consent had been obtained, in that kaiser permanente northwest parents were not informed that the vaccine, licenced in other countries and kaiser permanente of colorado employment registered with the FDA as a trial medication, was unlicensed in the U.S. kaiser permanente physions san rafael, californiaa This raised concerns over US government department ethics, kaiser permanente portland airport way and occasioned an apology by the CDC who ascribed it kaiser permanente santa clarita to an administrative oversight.
In California the Department of Managed Healthcare of the state government kaiser permanente scholarship is the regulatory organisation. Other states have similar organisations.
In 2005 kaiser permanente services the DMHC reported Kaiser as being as kaiser permanente springfield va good as any of the HMOs, and kaiser permanente sr. vp christine malcolm superior on preventive care.
- Kaiser and federal regulation of HMOs
The organization is mentioned in an Oval Office discussion about the initiation of the Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973. By 1977, kaiser permanente waldorf maryland all six of Kaiser's regions had become federally-qualified HMOs.
Kaiser has settled three cases for alleged patient make doctor appointment at kaiser permanente in parma ohio dumping since 2002. During that same period, the Office of the Inspector General settled 102 cases against US Hospitals which resulted podiatrist kaiser permanente stockton in a monetary payment to the agency 
In order when did henry j. kaiser founded the kaiser permanente to contain costs, Kaiser requires agreement by planholders to submit patient malpractice claims diabetes q and a kaiser permanente to arbitration rather than litigating through employment at kaiser permanente the court system. This has triggered some discussion and dissent. Some cases proceed to court and one argument is folsom kaiser permanente over whether the requirement to go history of kaiser permanente through dispute resolution is enforceable .
Kaiser established an Office of Independent Administrators (OIA) in 1999 to oversee kaiser permanente allied school of health in richmond the arbitration process. The degree to which this is independent has been questioned.
Wilfredo Engalla is a kaiser permanente and colorado kaiser permanente and roseville notable case. In 1991, Engalla died of lung cancer nearly five months kaiser permanente and texas after submitting a written demand for arbitration. The California Supreme Court found that Kaiser had a financial incentive to wait until after Engalla died; his spouse could recover $500,000 from Kaiser kaiser permanente building, portland oregon if the case was arbitrated while he was alive, but only $250,000 kaiser permanente california location after he died. The Foundation for Taxpayer kaiser permanente cascade park washington & Consumer Rights contends that Kaiser continues to oppose HMO arbitration reform
Patients and consumer interest kaiser permanente claims facility, downey groups sporadically attempt to bring lawsuits against Kaiser. Recent lawsuits include Gary Rushford's kaiser permanente coloma building attempt to kaiser permanente company profile use proof of a physician lie to overturn an Arbitration decision.
In 2004 Kaiser initiated kaiser permanente demographics an in-house program for kidney transplantation. Prior to opening the transplant center, Kaiser patients kaiser permanente federal credit union would generally receive transplants at medical centers associated with the University of kaiser permanente fresno job California (UC San Francisco and UC Davis). Upon opening the transplant center, Kaiser transplant candidates in Northern kaiser permanente health care California were now required to kaiser permanente helath insurance for domestic partner obtain services through Kaiser's own transplant center. On kaiser permanente hospice redwood city May 3, 2006, the LA Times published an investigative report which accused the kaiser permanente hospital / orange county transplant program of mismanagement which resulted in delays for patients awaiting kidneys. According to kaiser permanente in santa rosa the report, Kaiser performed 56 transplants in 2005 and twice that many patients died waiting for a kaiser permanente job listings honolulu hawaii kidney. At other California transplant centers, more than twice as many kaiser permanente job opening people received kidneys than died during the same period.
On May 13, 2006 and after kaiser permanente location in southern california less kaiser permanente medical center fresno than two years of operation, Kaiser announced that it would discontinue the kidney transplant program. As before, Kaiser would pay kaiser permanente medication therapy management for pre-transplant care and transplants at outside hospitals. This had an effect kaiser permanente member benefits on approximately 2000 patients.
In the kaiser permanente moanalua clinic wake of the LA Times story, two patients kaiser permanente northern california jobs have filed personal injury lawsuits against Kaiser and the widow of a patient who died has filed a wrongful kaiser permanente oakland 1 ordway broadway death claim. According to the kaiser permanente of georgia + human resources lawyer representing the three plaintiffs, more lawsuits are planned.
- ^ http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2006/02/13/daily42.html?from_rss=1
- ^ http://xnet.kp.org/annualreport/annual.html kaiser permanente offices Kaiser Permanente 2005 Annual Report
- ^ http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/fall97pj/history.html
- ^ http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/summer06/delivery.pdf Delivery of Meical Care. Garfield. Scientific kaiser permanente ohio American reprinted in Permanente J. Summer 2006 Vol 10 kaiser permanente organic foods No. 2 page 49
- ^ Transcript of taped kaiser permanente personnel conversation between President Richard Nixon and John D. Ehrlichman
- ^ http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-health-insurance/rankings/commercial.htm
- ^ 
- ^ Kaiser Permanente leads in California kaiser permanente portland HMO report card
- ^ http://www.networks.nhs.uk/39.html#kaiser UK NHS reports and briefings kaiser permanente portland or on the mode of operation of Kaiser and its kaiser permanente psychiatry effectiveness
- ^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1764713.stm
- ^ Feachem RG, Sekhri NK, White KL (2002). "Getting kaiser permanente riverside more for their dollar: a comparison of the NHS with kaiser permanente roseville medical center California's Kaiser Permanente". BMJ 324: 135-41. PMID 11799029.
- ^ Feachem RG, Sekhri NK, White KL (2002). kaiser permanente sacramento california "Getting more for their dollar: a kaiser permanente santa rosa comparison of the NHS with California's Kaiser Permanente". BMJ 324: 135-41. kaiser permanente school of allied health PMID 11799029.
- ^ http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg15020361.000
- ^ http://www.opa.ca.gov/report_card/ Califonia regulatory body report card for 2005 on HMOs operating in the state
- ^ : kaiser permanente school of allied health nuclear med Transcript of taped conversation between President Richard Nixon and John kaiser permanente school of allied health sciences D. Ehrlichman
- ^  List of Office of Inspector General fines kaiser permanente school of allied health sciences loan for patient dumping
- ^ Federal Patient Dumping act applied kaiser permanente sign on in these fines.
- ^ http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1761873&page=1 ABC news coverages of patient dumping allegations
- ^ Chris Rauber. kaiser permanente sonography program "Kaiser fires back in arbitration kaiser permanente staff directory fresno suit." San Francisco Business Times. February 20, 1998.
- ^ The Foundation for Taxpayer & Consumer Rights. "'Independent' kaiser permanente sunnyside Administrator Of Kaiser Arbitration kaiser permanente temecula System Is Rep For Corporate Lobby" News Release. January 8, 2003.
- ^ Full opinion of the California Supreme Court in the kaiser permanente washington dc locations case of Engalla v. Permanente Medical Group, Inc.
- ^ The kaiser permanente west los angeles Foundation for Taxpayer & Consumer Rights. "A Placebo Kaiser Arbitration Bill Killed In Senate Committee: Kaiser's kaiser permanente west los angeles medical facility 'Independent' Arbitration System Administrator Lobbies For Kaiser." News Release. lawsuits campisi kaiser permanente lawsuits April 26, 2000.
- ^ http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-kaiser3may03,0,7436765,full.story?coll=la-home-headlines
- ^ SF Gate account of closure of neobladder kaiser permanente kidney transplant program (2006 May 13 viewed May 19)
- ^ http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12911669/dysfunctional 3 day kaiser permanente diet MSNBC account of closure of kidney transplant program (2006 apply for a job at kaiser permanente May 21 viewed May 29)
- ^ http://www.orovillemr.com/news/bayarea/ci_3816717
- Kaiser Permanente - Official website
- Regulatory department of California government - reports on HMOs including Kaiser
- MSNBC - "Kaiser Permanente bucks the HMO trend"
- Health Administration Responsibility Project - anti-HMO organization. Critical of Kaiser.
Categories: Articles with unsourced statements | Companies based in Alameda County | Healthcare in the United States | Non-profit organizations | Hospital networks