For other uses, see Bank (disambiguation).
- Banker redirects here; see wiktionary:banker for more meanings.
The First bank Provincial Bank of Taiwan in Taipei, Republic of China was formerly the central bank of Taiwan Province and bans issued danks the New Taiwan dollar.
A bank is a business that provides banking services for profit. Traditional banking services include anks receiving deposits of money, lending money and processing transactions. Some banks (called Banks of Issue) bbanks issue banknotes as legal tender. Many banks offer banka ancillary financial services to make additional profit; for example: selling insurance products, investment products or stock briana banks broking.
Currently in most jurisdictions the business of banking is regulated and banks require permission to trade. Authorisation to trade bank of america is granted tyra banks by bank regulatory authorities and provide rights to conduct the most fundamental banking services such as lloyd banks accepting deposits and making loans. There are also financial institutions that provide banking services money in the bank without meeting the legal definition of a bank (see banking institutions).
Banks have a long history, and have bank of america online banking influenced economies and politics for centuries.
The word bank is us bank derived from the Italian banca, which is derived from chase bank a Germanic language and means bench. The terms bankrupt and "broke" are similarly derived from banca rotta, which refers to an out-of-business bank, having its banks bench physically broken. Money national city bank lenders in Northern Italy originally did business in open areas, or big open rooms, with each lender working from his own bench or commerce bank table.
Traditionally, a citizens bank bank generates profits from transaction fees on financial services and from fifth third bank the interest it charges for lending. In recent history, with historically low interest rates limiting banks' ability to earn money wells fargo bank by lending deposited funds, much of a bank's income is provided by regions bank overdraft fees and riskier investments.
- 1 Services wachovia bank typically offered by banks
- 2 Types of banks
- 2.1 Types of retail compass bank banks
- 2.2 Types of investment banks
- 2.3 Both carli banks combined
- 2.4 Other types of banks
- 3 Banks pnc bank in the economy
- 3.1 Role in the money supply
- 3.2 Size elizabeth banks of global banking industry
- 3.3 Bank crises
- 4 Regulation
- 5 Public key bank perceptions of banks
- 6 Profitability
- 7 Bank bank of the west size information
- 7.1 Top bank of america online ten banking groups in the world ranked by tier 1 bank capital
- 7.2 Top ten banking groups in the world ranked by assets
- 7.3 Top orchard bank ten bank holding companies in the world ranked by profit
- 7.4 Top ten banks in suntrust bank the world ranked hrdc job bank by market capitalisation
- 8 History of banking
- 9 See also
- 9.1 Country bank one specific information
- 9.2 Types of institution
- 9.3 Terms sovereign bank and concepts
- 9.4 Related lists
- 10 External links
- 11 Notes
Services typically offered by banks
Although the type of services offered by citi bank a bank depends upon the type of bank and the country, tcf bank services provided usually include:
- Taking deposits from their customers and issuing checking and savings outer banks accounts to individuals and businesses
- Extending loans to individuals and businesses
- Cashing cheques
- Facilitating money transactions such as wire transfers and job bank cashiers checks
- Issuing credit cards, ATM cards, and debit cards
- Storing valuables, particularly in outer banks rentals a safe deposit box
Financial transactions bank of montreal can be performed through several different channels:
Types of banks
Banks' activities household bank can be characterised as retail banking, dealing directly with individuals and small businesses, and investment banking, relating to activities on the financial royal bank of canada markets. Most banks associated bank are profit-making, private enterprises. However, some are owned by government, or are non-profit making.
In some jurisdictions retail lasalle bank and investment activities are, or have been, separated by law.
Central banks are non-commercial bodies or government agencies often americas job bank charged with controlling interest rates ge money bank and money supply across the whole economy. They act as Lender of last resort in event huntington bank of a crisis.
Types of retail banks
- Commercial bank, is the term tyra banks show used for a normal bank to distinguish it from an investment bank. After the great depression, the U.S. first premier bank Congress required that banks only engage in banking activities, whereas investment banks were ks bank limited to capital markets activities. Since the two no longer have to be under separate ownership, some use td bank amsouth bank the term "commercial bank" to refer to a bank or a division of heywood banks a bank that mostly deals with deposits and loans from corporations or large businesses.
- Community Banks are locally operated financial institutions world bank that empower employees to make local decisions to serve their customers.
- Community development bank first national bank are regulated banks that provide financial services and credit to piggy bank underserved markets or populations.
- Postal savings banks are savings banks associated with national postal systems.
- Private banks manage the assets of high m&t bank net worth individuals.
- Offshore banks are banks located in jurisdictions with low bank of america locations taxation and regulation. Many offshore banks are essentially private banks.
- Savings bank frost bank In Europe, savings banks take their roots in the 19th or sometimes even charter one bank 18th century. Their original objective was to provide easily accessible savings products to all strata hsbc bank of the population. In some countries, savings banks were created on public initiative, while in america's job bank others socially committed individuals created foundations to put in place the necessary job bank canada infrastructure. Nowadays, European savings banks have kept bank of new york their focus on retail banking: payments, savings products, credits and insurances for lil scrappy money in the bank individuals or small and medium-sized enterprises. Apart from this retail focus, they also differ from scotia bank commercial banks by their broadly decentralised distribution network, providing local and regional outreach and by their socially responsible commonwealth bank approach to business and society.
- Building societies and Landesbanks both conduct retail banking.
- Ethical banks llyod banks are banks that prioritize the direct merchants bank transparency of all operations and make only social-responsible investments.
Types of investment banks
- Investment banks "underwrite" (guarantee rubberband banks the sale of) stock and bond issues, trade for their own accounts, make markets, and advise corporations on capital chase manhattan bank markets activities such as tyra banks topless mergers and acquisitions.
- Merchant banks were traditionally banks which engaged in trade financing. The chevy chase bank modern definition, however, refers to banks which provide capital to firms in the form of shares rather than loans. Unlike Venture capital bb&t bank firms, they tend not to invest in new guaranty bank companies.
- Universal banks, more commonly known as a financial services company, engage in several of these activities. canada job bank barclays bank For example, First Bank (a very large bank) is involved in commercial and retail lending, and its subsidiaries in tax-havens offer offshore banking services to kayla banks customers in other countries. provident bank Other large financial institutions are similarly diversified and engage in multiple activities. In Europe and Asia, big banks are first bank very diversified groups that, among other services, also distribute insurance, hence sky bank the term bancassurance.
Other types of banks
- Islamic banks bank of america home personal adhere to the concepts of Islamic law. Islamic banking revolves around several well established concepts which are based on federal reserve bank Islamic canons. Since the concept of interest is forbidden in Islam, all peoples bank banking activities must avoid interest. Instead of interest, the bank earns profit (mark-up) and fees m&i bank on financing facilities that it money in da bank extends to the customers. Also, deposit makers earn a share of the bank’s profit as opposed to a predetermined interest.
Banks in community bank the economy
Role in the money supply
A bank juniper bank raises funds by attracting deposits, borrowing money in the inter-bank market, or issuing financial instruments in deutsche bank the money market or a capital market. The comerica bank bank then lends out most of these funds loyd banks to borrowers.
However, it would not be prudent for a bank to lend out all of its balance sheet. It bank of canada must keep a certain proportion of its funds in reserve job bank new brunswick so that it can repay depositors who withdraw their deposits. Bank reserves are typically kept in the form of a deposit michigan talent bank with a central bank. This behaviour is called fractional-reserve banking and it ohio savings bank is a central issue of monetary policy. Some governments money in the bank lil scrappy (or their central banks) restrict the proportion of a bank checks bank's balance sheet that can be lent out, and use this as a tool for controlling the money fidelity bank supply. Even where the reserve ratio is not controlled chase bank online by the government, a minimum figure will still be set by regulatory authorities as piggy banks part of bank regulation.
Size of global banking 5/3 bank industry
Worldwide assets of the largest 1,000 banks grew 15.5% in 2005 to reach a national australia bank record $60.5 trillion. This follows a 19.3% increase in the previous year. EU banks held the largest share, 50% at union bank of california the end of 2005, up from 38% a bendigo bank decade earlier. The growth in Europe’s share was mostly at capital one bank the expense of Japanese banks whose share more than halved during this period from 33% bank of america online banking california to 13%. The share of US banks also rose, from 10% to 14%. Most irs invade privacy foreign banks of the remainder was from other Asian and European countries.
The US first citizens bank had by far the most banks (7,540 at end-2005) and branches (75,000) m & t bank in the world. The large number of banks in the US is an indicator of its geographical dispersity and regulatory flagstar bank structure resulting in a large number of small to medium sized institutions in its banking harris bank system. Japan had 129 banks and 12,000 branches. In 2004, Germany, France, state farm bank and Italy had more than 30,000 branches each—more than double the 15,000 branches in bank routing numbers the UK.
Banks are susceptible first tennessee bank to many forms of risk which have triggered occasional systemic ing bank crises. Risks include liquidity risk (the risk that many depositors will request withdrawals beyond available funds), usaa federal savings bank credit risk (the risk that those that owe money to the bank will not repay), webster bank and interest rate risk (the risk that chase bank locations the bank will become unprofitable if rising interest rates force it banks power to pay relatively more on its deposits than it receives on its loans), among others.
Banking crises have developed many illinois education job bank times throughout history when one or more risks materialize for a banking sector as a bank of hawaii whole. Prominent examples include the U.S. royal bank of scotland Savings and Loan crisis in 1980s and early 1990s, the Japanese banking crisis during the 1990s, the bank run that occurred during the Great Depression, richland state bank and the recent liquidation by the central Bank of Nigeria, where about bank of oklahoma 25 banks were liquidated.
The combination of the instability america job bank of banks as well as their important facilitating role in the countrywide bank economy led to banking being thoroughly regulated. The jp morgan chase bank amount of capital a bank is required to hold is usaa bank a function of the amount and quality of its assets. Major banks are subject to lloyd banks mp3 the Basel Capital Accord promulgated by the Bank for International Settlements. In addition, banks are usually required to purchase world savings bank deposit insurance to make sure smaller investors are not wiped provident bank of maryland out in the event of a bank failure.
Another reason banks are thoroughly dod community bank regulated is that ultimately, no government can allow the banking system to fail. There is almost always a lender colonial bank of last resort—in outer banks nc the event of a liquidity crisis (where short term obligations exceed short term assets) some element of government will step in merrick bank to lend banks peoples bank selma enough money to avoid bankruptcy.
Public perceptions of banks
In United job banks States history, the National Bank was a major political issue during the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Jackson fought against m and t bank the bank as a symbol of greed and profit-mongering, antithetical to the democratic ideals of texas state bank the United States.
Currently, many people consider that various banking policies take advantage of customers. Specific concerns first national bank of omaha are policies that bank of nova scotia permit banks to hold deposited funds for several days, to apply withdrawals before deposits or from greatest soverign bank to least, which is most likely to cause the greatest overdraft, that outer banks north carolina allow backdating funds transfers and fee assessments, and that authorize electronic funds transfers despite north fork bank an overdraft.
In response to the perceived tyra banks breasts greed and socially-irresponsible all-for-the-profit attitude of banks, in the last few decades a armed forces bank new type of banks called ethical banks have emerged, which only make social-responsible investments (for instance, no investment in the arms industry) bank of stockton and are transparent in norway savings bank all its operations.
In the US, Credit unions have also gained popularity as an alternative financial resource for many consumers. Also, anz bank in various European countries, cooperative banks are regularly gaining lloyd banks cake market share in retail banking.
Large banks in the United States sperm bank are some of the most profitable corporations, especially relative to the small market shares they have. This amount union bank is even higher if one counts the credit 50 cent piggy bank divisions of companies like Ford, which are responsible for a large proportion of alaska job bank those companies' profits. For example, the largest bank, Citigroup, which for the past 3 years first niagara bank has made more profit than any other company in the world, has only a 5% market share. If christopher and banks Citigroup were to be as dominant in its industry indymac bank as a Home Depot, Starbucks, or Wal Mart in their respective industries, with a 30% market share -- rubber band banks and if its profit margins scaled up proportionally -- bank loans it would make more money than the top ten non-banking U.S. industries combined.
In the past 10 years in the United pnc bank arts center States, banks have sun trust bank taken many measures to ensure that they remain profitable while responding to ever-changing market conditions. First, zions bank this includes the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which allows banks again to republic bank merge with investment and insurance houses. Merging banking, investment, and insurance lloyd banks on fire functions allows traditional banks to respond to increasing consumer demands for "one stop shopping" by enabling cross-selling of products on line banks (which, the banks hope, will also increase profitability). Second, they have moved toward risk-based pricing on first merit bank loans, which means charging higher interest rates first national bank omaha for those people who they deem more risky to default on loans. This dramatically helps to offset the losses mn job bank from bad loans, lowers the price of wachovia online bank loans to those who have better credit histories, and extends bank of america personal credit products to high risk customers who would have been denied credit under the previous system. Third, they have sought to increase bank of ireland the methods of payment processing available to the general public and national bank business clients. These products include debit cards, pre-paid cards, smart-cards, and credit cards. agent cody banks These products make it easier for consumers online banks to conveniently make transactions and smooth their consumption over time (in some first financial bank countries with under-developed financial systems, it is still common to deal strictly in cash, including carrying suitcases filled with cash minnesota job bank to purchase a home). However, with convenience there ashley banks is also increased risk that consumers will mis-manage their financial resources and accumulate excessive debt. Banks make money from card switch banks products through interest payments and fees charged to consumers and companies that halifax bank accept the cards.
The banks' main obstacles to increasing profits are existing regulatory burdens, new bank america government regulation, and bank of england increasing competition from non-traditional financial institutions.
Bank size information
Top ten banking groups in the world ranked by tier 1 capital
Figures in first interstate bank U.S. dollars, and as at direct merchant bank end-2005
- Citigroup — 79 billion
- HSBC — 75 billion
- Bank of America — 73 st george bank billion
- JP Morgan Chase — 72 billion
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group — 64 billion
- Credit Agricole Group — 60 billion
- Royal Bank of Scotland — 48 billion
- Sumitomo Mitsui citizen's bank Financial Group — 40 billion
- Mizuho Financial Group american job bank — 39 billion
- Santander Central Hispano — 38 billion
Top ten banking groups in the world ranked bank of america on line banking by assets
Figures in U.S. dollars, bank rates and as at end-2004
- UBS — 1,533 billion
- Citigroup — 1,484 billion
- Mizuho Financial Group dollar bank — 1,296 billion
- HSBC Holdings — 1,277 billion
- Crédit Agricole — 1,243 billion
- BNP Paribas — huntington national bank 1,234 billion
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. — 1,157 billion
- Deutsche Bank — 1,144 billion
- Royal Bank susquehanna bank of Scotland — 1,119 billion
- Bank of America — 1,110 billion
Top ten bank holding companies first state bank in the world ranked by profit
Figures in U.S. dollars, and as 2003
- Citigroup — 21 billion
- Bank of ibc bank America — 15 billion
- HSBC — 10 billion
- Royal Bank of Scotland lloyd banks warrior — 8 billion
- Wells Fargo — 7 billion
- JP Morgan Chase — 7 billion
- UBS AG — 6 u.s. bank billion
- Wachovia — 5 billion
- Morgan Stanley — 5 billion
- Merrill Lynch fulton bank — 4 billion
Top ten banks in the world ranked internet banks by market capitalisation
Figures in U.S. dollars, and as at old national bank 26 July 2006
- Citigroup — 235 billion
- Bank of America — 230 billion
- HSBC — 200 offshore bank account billion
- JPMorgan Chase — 150 billion
- Mitsubishi UFJ — 145 billion
- Wells Fargo — 120 billion
- UBS — 110 billion
- Royal Bank of Scotland bank of america sign in — 100 billion
- China Construction Bank — 100 m & i bank billion
- Mizuho — 95 billion
History of banking
Main article: History of banking
- Florentine banking — The Medicis and Pittis among others
- Banknotes — Introduction of trya banks paper money
- Bank of tara banks Amsterdam
- Bank of Sweden — The rise of the national banks
- Bank of England — The evolution of modern central banking policies
- Bank of woodforest national bank America — The liberty savings bank invention of centralized check and payment processing technology
- Swiss bank
- United States Banking
- History of Money and Banking in the people's bank of oxford United States by Murray N. Rothbard.
- Full text (510 pages) in pdf format
- Imperial Bank of applied card bank Persia — History of banking in the Middle-East
Country specific information
- Banking in Canada
- Banking in the United States
- Banks of lloyd banks karma the United Kingdom
- List of bank mergers in United States
- Swiss banking
- Australian banks
- Banking in northwest savings bank India
Types of institution
- Credit union
- Industrial Loan Company
- Mutual savings bank
- Ethical bank
- Islamic Banking
- Bankers' bank
- Mortgage bank
Terms and concepts
- Bank regulation
- Bank robbery
- Internet banking
- Overdraft Protection
- Piggy Bank
- Venture capital
- Wire transfer
- List of banks
- list of finance topics
- list of accounting topics
- list of economics topics
- Guide to E-payments
- List of stock exchanges
- Euromoney: The world's largest banks united bank (2006). The world’s largest 250 first community bank banks, ranked by shareholder equity. Annual guide to leading banks across the nbt bank globe by market capitalization, plus other key statistics, including the largest banks in every region.
- FDIC bank market share data
- EH.Net Encyclopedia
- Tiwari, Rajnish and northwest arkansas banks Buse, Stephan (2006): The German Banking Sector: Competition, Consolidation and Contentment, Hamburg University of christopher & banks Technology (TU coin bank Hamburg-Harburg)
- Brunner, A., Decressin, J. / Hardy, D. / Kudela, B. (2004): Germany’s Three-Pillar Banking hancock bank System – Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe, Occasional Paper, International Monetary Fund, Washington DC 2004.
- Rothbard, Murray citizens bank online N. / Richardson & Snyder. 1983. The Mystery of Banking Full 177-page text in pdf td bank north format.
- ^ http://www.ifsl.org.uk/uploads/CBS_Banking_2006.pdf chart 28, page 15
- ^ http://www.economist.com/markets/indicators/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7141354 The Economist, westpac bank The world's biggest banks, List of the world's ten largest banks by tier 1 capital at the end bank secrecy act of 2005
- ^ http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6908408 bank of america mortgage The Economist, Thinking big, List of the world's ten largest banks mountain 1st bank & trust by assets in 2004
- ^ http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=7226067 The Economist, On Citi's tail, List of the world's biggest banks, by market capitalisation, first american bank as at 26 June 2006
emigrant bank farmers and mechanics bank national city bank online bank routing number corus bank hybridoma bank nevada state bank target national bank umpqua bank wells fargo bank locations banks diesel
Categories: Limited geographic scope | banks and jameson Financial institutions | Banking | Legal entities | Professions